Dry Brush Portrait Drawing

I'm back with my latest commissioned piece in a whole new technique I'd never tried before, dry brush drawing with oil paint.. 

I first came across this technique on Youtube, by an amazing portrait artist named Igor Kazarin. Check out his website, it's chock full of amazing work and he's ever generous with his knowledge and skills as an artist...

'Stella & Bo' Dry Brushed Portrait
Lamp Black Oil Paint on Watercolour Paper
Size 16.5" x 12.5"

Although slight highlights are picked out with a rubber this is not a technique that leaves much room for any mistakes so one has to be totally mindful of each stroke made... 
I found this technique had a very natural (instinctual) feel to it which made it quite a joy to do. The only picture my client had, unfortunately, was a really low resolution pixilated mobile picture, so I had quite an uphill task of coming up with the detail needed for an A3 size drawing, while still capturing the essence of my models with little room for mistakes... I don't mean to sound like it was that bothersome though for it's probably good for me to work this way once in a while ( I get so tied up in details sometimes). 


I may post a WIP of this drawing but one can't go astray by checking out Igor Kazarines drawing videos showing his whole dry brush process,.. they helped me quite a lot...

Thanks for Visiting!.. :)

p.s. R.I.P Teto (2012)..... 


Comments

Popular Posts