Silence

I am often asked what drives me as an artist. It is a difficult question, as there is an unfortunate conflicting paradigm when talking about oneself. The confines of writing about oneself, hinders the reader from seeing the ever evolving ambiguous nature of any persons psyche, restricting what they interpret to the words on the page. However, could the confines of language, though inadequate / at times misleading / up for interpretation depending on cultural and social background, get close to describing anything if one could define every nuance and turn in emotion with unlimited space and time?.. perhaps..  

Noise, so much, everywhere... Noise that means absolutely nothing and noise that means so much, it hurts to listen... 


'Silence'
Charcoal Pencil on Newsprint
Size: 12.5 x 8.6 Inches


'Silence 2'
Sanguin Oil/ Rotel FFTT & Chinese White Pencil on Archival (acid & Lignen Free) Paper Toned and sized with Watercolour & Shellac
Size: 11.6 x 9.4 Inches



Now to the question of what drives me to create art?...

My evolution in art has always been an internal conflict for me. The fire within me to create is undeniable, however it eats me inside as well as feeds me. Holding two opposing ideas alive in the same mind, then breaking it down and breathing life into it on canvas, in a way that speaks true to those who behold it, is a daily battle. I'm sometimes surprised when I emerge from the confines of my self indulgent tremulous studio that the world is, as always, carrying on, unconcerned by my petty artistic ups and downs. Sometimes I throw my hands up, and paint a pretty picture to keep myself going, but these pieces are not what drive me to create. This is a journey I feel thankful every second to be on though, and the artistic growth I see every day helps feed the fire.



Comments

Popular Posts